Monday, February 15, 2010

cookie pops






Had a lot of fun making cookie pops with the kids for valentine treats for their friends.

Here is what I learnt.

If you want to use "real" oreos you need the "double stuff" ones. If you use the regular ones then there is not enough cream filling and the lollipop stick is actually thicker than the cream and you get a crooked cookie with chocolate creeping into and all over the middle. This was messy and tricky to work with, and would frustrate kids. This happened with me alone and I was plenty irritated. The pics I am including are with a store brand of cookie and they had as much filling as a double stuff oreo and the stick with chocolate melted on sunk right in... so easy... so perfect. Thankfully that was the batch the kids helped with. I also found the oreos very difficult to pull apart and had to microwave them four at a time for 9 seconds. The store brand was so easy and almost none broke. I had a pile of broke oreos, but there are worse things than a pile of broken cookies you are forced to eat.

I also did a batch with a gluten and dairy free cookie and this worked just fine - except I think I blew the dairy free with the chocolate - hehe. These were hard also to separate and I had to microwave four at a time for 9 seconds to get them to separate easier.

Chocolate choices:
My favorite to work with (and conveniently eat) was Chipits semisweet chocolate chips. Get the big big bag!
Milk chocolate chips dipped nice but was much thinner it seemed, even when I used it at a cooler temperature.
I did try white chocolate and red but did not love how this coated the cookie, but the kids thought it was awesome. I ended up using this mostly for drizzling on the dark and milk chocolate. Never did get any pics of these, but they were quite pretty.

No comments: